Our Trip to Alaska

We hope that you will enjoy keeping up with our family as we visit Alaska for 4 months.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

snowmachining

On Thursday, we didn't really do anything.  I spent most of my day posting pictures on Facebook and the rest playing video games with the kids.  Yesterday, New Year's Eve, we all went into Palmer and went snowmachining.  If you saw the pictures, you saw how beautiful the scenery was and I'm sure that you could tell that we all had a blast!  Jeff and I love Palmer.  It reminds us of the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase.  If I were going to live here, that would be the place for me!  My sister thinks that it's too far away from things.  Wasilla is about the size of Greenwood and is growing like crazy.  They have a Target, Wal Mart, and are even getting a brand new movie theatre.  Palmer, on the other hand, has a few small stores but it is centered around the "Beaut".  I would put my house right at the bottom of the mountain!!  It's only about 10-15 minutes from Wasilla.  The weather here has been crazy.  Yesterday it got up to 35 degrees, which probably feels like our 50 at home.  We had a warm rain in the morning, so a lot of the snow on the ground is gone.  The mountains are still vey pretty, but everything else is slush.  I believe that this is very rare for January in AK.  We enjoyed bringing in the New Year with fireworks last night.  I realized that we had 4 more hours in 2010 than people at home.  I'm not sure if that was good or bad, considering the crazy year that we just left behind...hoping that 2011 is better!  Today we are hoping to go snow tubing on the base in Anchorage.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate for us to do that.  It's looking a little windy and the wind is NOT nice in Alaska!  Jeff only has 2 more days with us and then he heads back home.  That's going to be hard, but we're hoping to see and do a few more things before we leave.  The kids are having a lot of fun!  Hope that you are enjoying the pictures and that you have a great start to 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment